I really never thought I'd be someone who ENJOYED green smoothies. Oh man, well then I moved to Portland and guess what ... that happened. It's one of those things you really just have to taste for yourself to believe that it's delicious. And now I'm a full convert enjoying a range of combinations and touting how great they make me feel to other humans.. ugg, what have I become.
But really, I hope you try this: Here's a little secret to make sure your green smoothie experience is scrumptious: Incorporate two or three of these elements:
- Creaminess (non-dairy milks, banana, yogurt)
- Tartness (lime, lemon, apple)
- Sweetness (agave, syrup, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger)
Here is a personal favorite of mine, the whole lime really makes this super refreshing, tart and downright delightful.
Sweet and Tart Green Citrus Smoothie
- blend leafy greens with the lime and apple and a tablespoon of water
- add the additional ingredients and blend until smooth.
- 1 banana
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1 apple (peeled)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 tsp maple syrup