This is a holiday cake built to impress. A spicy pumpkin cake with a creamy nutella buttercream frosting and roasted hazelnut topping. People will be so happy they invited you to their holiday party.
double hazelnut pumpkin cake (with nutella)
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 1/4 cups sugar ( I like to use sugar in the raw)
3/4 cup dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, soft/room temp
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup (15 oz) pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup butter, soft/room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 - 4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of cream or milk
1/2 cup nutella
1/2 cup hazelnuts (roasted for 5 mins while the cake is baking)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. This recipe fills three, 9-inch cake pans. Or you can make a smaller 6 inch cake and cupcakes (that is what I did). Just make sure to not over fill your cake pans as the dough will rise! Butter your cake pans well.
2. Mix together all your dry ingredients except the sugars.
3. In another large bowl, mix together the butter and sugars, then add your oil, eggs, and vanilla. Then add the pumpkin and milk to the sugar mix. (Note - it is freaking amazing if you use actual roasted pumpkin here, but for use mere mortals, the canned stuff will do fine :)
4. Slowly, add the flour mix to the butter/sugar pumpkin bowl.
5. Pour into the cake pans and bake for 30-35min until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool.
6. To make the frosting use room temp butter add the nutella, then add the powdered sugar, I use a Cuisinart Hand Mixer that I love. Frost your cake only when is is completely cold! Roughly chop half of your hazelnuts to add to the top.